Thursday, August 6, 2015

Before Saying Good-bye

Aug. 6, 2015

Busy with learning, observing, discussing and SHOPPING and traveling, I passed six the most valuable weeks in this summer. Every moment, every second I have been experiencing the cultural differences, the fascinating scenes, the thoughtprovoking discussions and the warm love.  

I experience so many cultural differences in Yale. When you going out and meet people face to face, remember to smile and greet them with your eyes giving the same information. When walking on the street, keep your body a little far from Americans, at least far enough not touching them, otherwise you may hear a sentence like ‘are you OK’. If you could not avoid that, say ‘sorry’ or ‘excuse me’ immediately. People in Yale (or maybe in New Haven) speak in rising tone to show politeness and interest, so when in Rome, do as Romans do. When coming to an end of a conversation, always remember to close your conversation with a good-wish sentence like “have a good day”. If you want to attract others’ attention or show your excitement while talking, fluctuate your voice, because that sounds more interesting. If you are going to an important place or participating a big event, dress formal clothes to show your respect, not matter how small the place is or how few people there might be. All of these are what we learned from books, but now we are doing these, doing the culture! To tell the truth, I just mentioned a few. The list could go on and on if I had more time in Yale.

 I saw interesting and beauuutiful attractions in Eastern America from the north to the south. In Niagara. The splashing ‘pouring rain’ from the waterfall, the swirling whirlpool under the fall, so many doves flying, wandering and floating around, the ship advanced forward courageously into the heavy mist and we the passengers on the board kept shooting pictures with continuous excited shouting. In Boston, my colleagues filled their mouths with luxuriously big red lobsters and we strolled in the renowned Harvard and MIT campuses, polished the shining left shoe of Mr. Harvard the statue, passed through the teaching building, observed the lab of Material School, found the famous and biggest Asia-study library--Harvard Yenching Library, and visited the historic harbor where Boston citizens once threw away the tea from Britain. In New York, we enjoyed the typical Chinese food, saw Chinese strangers in groups and heard Chinese spoken everywhere, even the Chinese songs from a black man playing saxophone in front of Metropolitan Museum. In Philadelphia, I walked through the Liberty Bell Center, Independence Hall, and National Historic Park within two hours without missing the so-called first public restroom :-). In Washington, we sat in the grass in front of Lincoln Memorial, watching people of different races, dressing in different styles speaking different languages, posing for photos, and feeling the melting pot atmosphere. In fact, we have so many wonderful memories in every city we visited. 

The last but not the least at all is the days we spent with Carrie and Siggy. At this departure time, even mentioning their beloved names would make me a lachrymose person. I hate tears, embarrassing tears when saying goodbye. But how could I not to cry after being supported and sheltered by their considerate love for six weeks; how could I stay calm and motionless when so many touching moments flashing by as films playing in front? Who can forget those days and nights we prepared the culture presentations anxiously but convinced ourselves after Carrie did the rehearsals with us? Who can ignore Siggy’s giggles, surprising wows and exciting claps when we performing on the stage? Who can disregard those heated discussions and debates, eye-catching in-class activities, thought-provoking materials in their classes? Certainly I memorized those notes I wrote down when Siggy shared her experiences with those introductions to the activities. With no doubt I remember the merry moment when I talked with Carrie about the cultural differences and shocking changes. Still I recalled what Carrie said about her Chinese experience with watery eyes. Only if I had another chance to be their students! I loooove Siggy’s attractive voice, fluctuating, exciting, rhythmic sound which can sing the most beautiful songs in the world. I enjoy Carrie reading stories, amazingly deep, slow and vivid. I was inspired all the time when listening to those appealing teaching activities. I was deeply impressed by Siggy for her devoted understanding and support and by Carrie for her rational and friendly suggestion when I felt confused with my observations.

There are so many things I have no time to do during the six weeks. I have not visited the art gallery yet, I was only in front of the closed door in a wrong day. I have not listened to the hilarious singing in the black church--St. Paul Church. Nor have I been on a red or orange line to see the other side of Yale. Neither have I been to the earliest Asia-study library in the world. ... So I decided to stay for another week to make up the time I lost in traveling and shopping. And my kind landlord allowed me to stay in the apartment! 

Good-bye, Yale, not now, but a week later!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Cherry! What beautiful words you write. I am deeply moved by your kind and inspiring comments. This has been one of my favorite summers EVER and that is because of this wonderful wonderful group of teachers! Thank you so much for expressing your appreciation and love! It means very much to me.

    ReplyDelete