Sunday, July 19, 2015

Oh, A Lovely Lovely Little Girl!

Oh, A Lovely Lovely Little Girl!

July 20th, 2015

I had been to New York for 2 days this weekend. I had no time to go anywhere but learnt Ba Gua in a Zen place. Before I came back to New Haven I went to TJ Max which was near the hotel I lived in. After grabbing what I needed, I rushed to the Cashier, thinking about catching the train, when I met this lovely little girl.

I was first attracted by a sweet little girl's voice from a shelf on my left. A two-year-old girl was skipping up to her mom, saying something like Spanish with a small red plastic bag in her left hand. Her mother, a young lady, sitting on a pram and playing her mobile phone, gave a very short response without even looking up at the little girl. The poor girl judged her mother's face for a while then turned back to a shelf with a reproachful pout.

Only several seconds later, she ran out, waving a more colorful plastic little packet, smiling and saying something with those expecting dark eyes. Her mother looked up with no feeling clearly seen on her face, said another short response. The girl drawned and retracted her lip  and turned to a man standing by with a begging voice. Just as she turned to her father(I supposed he was the father), the mother held up her right index finger swinging it  to the father and her mouth moved for some words with no sound.  The father receive the meaning and hugged the poor girl and said something comfortingly. With a disappointed sign, the girl went back to the shelf.

 A little while later, she jumped out and moved hesitately toward her mom. Presenting the yellow and green packet to her mom, she murmured several words. Her mother did not looked up at her this time and kept silent. (I supposed she tried to hardern her heart because any mother could not refuse the little girl's request if seeing her begging yet worrying dark eyes. ) The girl began to whimper, then sobbed. Finally it turned into crying. Her mother let her cry for a while without looking at her, then patted her on her back and shh-ed comfortingly. The poor lovely little girl stopped crying, wiped away her tears and went back into another aisle.

After several minutes, I did not find her coming out. As I was guessing whether she would give up,  the lovely girl appeared with another colorful packet in her little right hand. She held it so high above her head and walked steadily toward her dad, who was now checking out with the cashier. She stood on her tiptoes and handed it to the cashier HERSELF! What a clever girl!


Did she got it? No. Perhaps this is another time she tried to use her "tatctics" to get what she wants. Her parents are used to that. I was once such a parent as well. I felt a little sorry for her. But what a lovely girl!

 

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful observation! One rarely gets a chance to watch an entire story unfold like that...and I agree with you...a very clever child indeed, and she must be with a mother who pays her so little attention. I hate to see parents waste even a minute on the phone when I know how quickly their children will grow up and remember them that way forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this cute and clever girl. Sometimes I myself did the same as the mother, doing with the phone, not because the kids are not so important. Yes, kids grow up and leave you before you even notice that. So I try to be with my son whenever he needs me. But this summer I am in Yale, far away from him. Even though we can talk online I miss him so much.

      Delete