Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Prepare the culture show flyer

Prepare the culture show flyer

July 7, 2015

Thanks to Carrie and Xia Feng's help, we finally have a chance to present some Chinese culture in New Haven Free Public Library as a volunteer activity. So Monday afternoon Carrie tried to get us together to work out the flyer for it.

Rachel came up with an impressive name as "A Walk into China" and everyone liked it. So we started to work out the description of the program and a brief introduction to our group. Junia thought about the description, Arnold took charge of the introduction, Rachel and I designed the picture, while Carrie was always there with us, giving a lot of helpful suggestions, from the topics, the names for the topics, the expressions, the designing to even the font (the word size). She helped us pick up interesting topics, suggested how we can organize them, and illustrated how to design a flyer.  All of these she did were just her suggestions, as a typical American, she did not push her ideas but gave fast beneficial help.

We searched the Chinese calligraphy for some elegant handwriting styles, and then cut the images and copied them into our powerpoint. It took a long time since the elegant Chinese characters are not easy to find.

Gradually an elegant and beautiful flyer came out. We joyfully took pictures and uploaded it to WECHAT so that everyone in our group can see it. We got more suggestions and improved it.
 
Then we sent it to Xia Feng, the Chinese manager of New Haven Public Library, through email and quickly received her response--her telephone number. We connected her and asked some questions about the audience and the lecture room and planned to practice once so that she could give some suggestions. She was so kind in the phone and said she was ready to do anything to help us make it. We are really looking forward to next Thursday.

 
At night I received another email from Xia Feng, asking whether the ppt we sent her was the final one. I sent the message to everyone, Junia, Rachel and Joice responded that they found a spelling mistake. After some improvement I sent this back to her. I was really impressed by my teammates' carefulness.
The next morning I found another email from Xia Feng, who sent me a template they always use for flyers. It is in a Publisher which is quite new for me. With no knowledge of how to do this, I asked Siggie who was giving us classes that morning. Make sure everything I started to work on this template. The characters were so small and I didnot know whether I could change it or not. With so limited skills, I just filled the blanks. Sharing this with other teammates on WECHAT, I received suggestions from Rachel. Unfortunately, I had no time to work on it because we went to a lecture after class and a shopping trip to Target Mall in the evening.
When we got back, I received another email from Xia Feng, who already made a new one for us.
 
Much better! I relieved. That's wonderful! Xia Feng is so great and helpful!

2 comments:

  1. I thank you for the time and energy you and your colleagues put into this beautiful flyer, and I hope for only one thing of these classes...you are all tremendously proud of yourselves when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this precious oppotunity and I also believe we will definitely learn a lot and share a lot with the audience here.

      Delete